Thursday, February 10, 2011

Benjamin Stone

•Name: Benjamin STONE
•Sex: M
•Title: Rev.
•Birth: 26 SEP 1747 in Rowan Co., NC
•Birth: 26 SEP 1747 in Orange Co., NC
•Death: ABT 1795 in Madison Co., KY
•Death: ABT 1795 in Madison Co., KY
•Reference Number: 3602
•Note:
Benjamin was in the Orange Co. area from at least 1768 to mid 1780s. Aft er moving from Back Creek (near Haw River) he moved to Troublesome Cree k, Rockingham Co., NC (part of Guilford Co. until 1785) for a few years be fore heading out to Kentucky.

There is a possibility that he was a private in the 10th Regiment, Bloun ts Command. He enlisted and was commissioned on 20 July 1778. He served ni ne months in North Carolina.

He was in Madison County, KY by 1788.

He was on the Tax List in Madison County, Ky in 1789.

He is listed on the Census of Kentucky in 1790.

The "Madison Co., Kentucky wills and estates, 1785-1813" by Charles Frankl in (is actually only abstracts).
This is what is listed for Benjamin Stone
will dated: 20 Jan. 1795------Recorded: 4 Aug. 1795; will book A, page 96.
Wife: Sarah Stone
Son's: Dudley Stone, Samuel Stone, Daniel Stone, John Stone, Burgess Stone .
Daughters: Elizabeth Stone, Jane Stone, Fanny Stone, Susanna Stone, Mary S tone, Rebekah Stone.
Exec.: Sarah Stone, and Aaron Lewis
Witnesses: Aaron Lewis, Isaac Lewis, Thomas Lewis, John Lewis and Sarah Le wis.

The preface of the book states, "The will abstracts and estates in this bo ok are taken from Will Book "A " as found in the Clerk's Office of Madis on County Kentucky."

1-20-1795
In the name of god Amen I Benjamin Stone of the County of Madison in the s tate of Kentucky being weak of body but of sound and perfect mind and memo ry thanks be to Allmighty god for his mercies and calling to mind the mort ality of mans body and that its appointed for all flesh to die do make con stitute and ordain this my last will and testament in the following mann er viz

first of all I order that all my just debts shall be honestly paid a nd as to the rest of my estate I will and bequeath in the following mann er viz the place whereon I now live together with all my personal esta te I leave to the use and support of Sarah my well beloved wife during h er natural life and after her death the said plantation to be giv en up to my son Dudly as soon a he comes of age but in case that his moth er dies before that he comes of age that he is to have the profits there of but in case that his mother shall live longer that the time he com es of age he shall not disposses her but she is to have a decent support f rom the profits of the said place so long as she shall live and

all the household furniture to be equally Divided amongst my three daughte rs Elizabeth, Jane and Fanny and also to have a cow and calf after the dea th of their mother and

as to the remainder part of my stock to be equally divided amongst my thr ee sons Samuel, Daniel and Dudly after their mother's decease; and

as I have exchanged my plantation that is in Guilford County No Carolina w ith Burges my son for a bond upon Aron Lewis for five hundred acres of la nd which agreeable to the condition of the said bond he was to have choi ce of several entries that the said Lewis has in the state of Kentucky a nd accordingly I have ______(looks like pitihed) on a certain entry that l ies in the dividing ridge between Kingston and the waters of state and Lul begrude the entry contains 1250 acres in the name of James Crabtree whi ch if the said 500 acres is obtained to be a good right

I give 100 to my son John one hundred to Samuel and one hundred to Dani el and fifty to Jeane and fifty to Fanny and the remainder one hundr ed to Burges and the stallion colt

I leave the profits for the first two years to be equally divided betwe en my sons Samuel & Daniel and afterwards I give and bequeath the said hor se unto my son Dudly either to keep or sell & the price there of (ink blo t) let out on interest untill dudly comes of age at the disgressi on of my executors and to the rest of my children I give and bequeath viz

to Burges, Susanna, Mary and Rebeckah the sum of five shillings ea ch to be made out of my personal estate and (inkblot)

hereby appoint Sarah my dear wife Executrix and Aron Lewis executor of th is my last will and testament and do pronounce and declare this to be my l ast will and testament this twentieth day of January in the year of our lo rd one thousand seven hundred and ninety five.
Signed sealed pronounced and declared in presents of ...............
Aron Lewis,
Isaac Lewis
Benjamin his B mark Stone (LS)
Thomas Lewis,
John Lewis,
Sarah Lewis

At a court held for Madison County on Tuesday the 4th day of August 1795
This will was proved to be the last will and testament of Benjamin Stone D ec'd by the oath of Sarah Stone, Aron and Thomas Lewis, Witnesses, there to and ordered to be recorded.
Teste
Will Irvine CMCB

It is possible that he had a first wife, a Burgess, who was the moth er of Susannah, Burgess, Mary, Rebecca and John.

Court, Land, Probate Records
Abstracts of Early Kentucky Wills and Inventories
Madison Co. KY Book A - Page 166
Stone, Benjamin
1-20-1795
8-4-1795
Wife, Sarah
"I have exchanged my plantation that is in Guilford Co., NC with Burges s, my son, for a bond upon Ann Lewis".
Children:
Dudley
Samuel
Burgess
Daniel
Elizabeth
Jane
Fanny
Susannah
Mary
Rebecca
Ex: Wife, Anne Lewis
Wit: Aaron Lewis, Isaac, Thomas, John and Sarah Lewis

The witnesses to his will were: Aaron Lewis, Isaac Lewis, Benjamin B. Ston e, Thomas Lewis, John Lewis, and his wife, Sarah.
It was proved on 4 Aug 1795.
Source:
Perdue Genealogy and Related Families
Don Perdue
Ancestry.com





Father: Joshua STONE II b: ABT 1717 in Richmond Co., VA
Mother: Wilmoth BRYANT b: ABT 1718 in Halifax Co., VA

Marriage 1 Sarah LEWIS b: in Orange Co., NC
•Married: ABT 1760 in NC
Children
1. Susannah STONE b: 11 DEC 1763 in Orange Co., NC
2. Burgess STONE b: ABT 1764 in NC
3. Rebecca STONE b: 20 JAN 1765 in NC
4. Mary STONE b: ABT 1767 in NC
5. Daniel Lewis STONE b: 23 DEC 1771 in NC
6. Samuel Addison STONE b: ABT 1774 in NC
7. Jane STONE b: 24 AUG 1775 in NC
8. Frances STONE b: ABT 1776 in NC
9. John Bluford STONE b: 24 MAR 1779 in NC
10. Dudley Lewis STONE b: 20 JAN 1785 in Guilford Co., NC

2 comments:

Cat_T9 said...

My grandmas records for Mary show she married Albert C.Cix ib 3/7/1849 I will give you all the sources she used I dont know which one is for wich since the entire family is on this page warren co.marriages warren co deeds order book e family geneologies

Cat_T9 said...

My grandmas records show Mary married Albert C.Cox on 3/7/1849 her resourcces were Warren Co. Marriages and warren Co deeds order book e family geneologies